1,2,3

I've got some great news to share!

1. Running!
About a month ago, my best friend and I signed up for The Color Run (it's basically a super colorful 5k). The run isn't until January, so I figured that would give me enough time for my legs, my lungs and my heart to get strong again. I started running a few weeks ago... my first run was .52 miles. It was the best .52 miles I've ever run. I was beaming the whole time. Now I'm up to 1-1.5 miles every other day. Tonight, I ran 1.6 miles! I wasn't planning on running that far, but I felt good enough to push myself a little farther. I felt so great. It feels so good to feel good.

My first run after open heart surgery. Beaming. 

2. Job!
I'll be starting work soon as a part-time aide at the local elementary/middle school, working with kids who need extra help reading and understanding class material. I'm really excited.  I'll work enough hours per week to make me feel useful, while still having plenty of time for recovery time and Maya time (and class time, next semester). I'm also volunteering a few hours a week in the OB department at the local hospital and helping with high school ministry at my old parish in Flagstaff.

Incredibly excited about my volunteer badge.
Seriously though... I slept with it under my pillow the first night I got it. 

3. Classes!
I was planning on taking the year off to apply to post-bac pre-medical programs. Recently, however, I decided that I'm more interested in pursuing a career as a Physician Assistant or a Nurse Practitioner. I have to take some more science classes (3-10, depending on the programs), so I'm registering for 1-2 science classes next semester and will start a 6-weekend Nursing Assistant class in November. I know that CNAs are pretty much at the bottom of the pecking order, but I also know from my own experience that the work done by my patient care techs and CNAs was just as important as the work done by my doctors and nurses. While they all have different responsibilities, they all have the same end goal: take care of the patient.
___

Yes, friends. I promise that this is "Taking it Easy: Maya Edition". I still feel like I have enough time to heal, be with family and friends, and enjoy my life. I'm having a wonderful "year off" so far.


Comments

  1. I worked as a CNA all throughout college and nursing school and will graduate in a little less than a year with my master's in nursing as a certified nurse midwife and women's health nurse practitioner. I value every single second I worked as a CNA...all of it helped me tremendously throughout nursing school and I still believe I learned how to form relationships with patients from my time as a CNA. I think in a perfect world, everyone would be a CNA or tech for a little bit before taking the next step. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley,
      Thanks so much for reading! I am currently halfway through my CNA class and I'm really enjoying it! I also volunteer in the OB department at our local hospital, so I see nurse midwives in the dept every once in a while. It sounds like such a rewarding career! It's funny that you found my blog... I think I found your blog through Anna's site a few months ago and have enjoyed reading about your journey :) I hope your program is going well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts