Girls on the Run

I know I have some  a ton of catching up to do.

But... I have no idea where to start, so I thought I'd blog a little about the coaching I did with Girls on the Run. Also, there's an ulterior motive to this post: I'm cleaning out my iPhone pictures and I have some cute photos that need a home :)

For any of you who are unfamiliar with Girls on the Run (GOTR), here's a quick SparkNotes overview:

1. Founded in 1996 in North Carolina by Molly Barker
2. Leadership development/ running program for girls grades 3-5 and 6-8
3. Season culminates in a 5k run with other GOTR teams

Molly Barker, founder of Girls on the Run/ super awesome role model
via. 
Last March, I was approached during track practice by a parent at school. She was thinking about starting a GOTR team in Sedona and wanted to know if I'd be interested in coaching with her.

Agreeing to be a coach for GOTR was a pretty easy decision. It was running, which was something that I love. It was leadership development, which I support 10000%, and coaching all girls meant that we could paint our nails at practice... so DUH. Of course I said yes!

via.

Our season got off to a great start. It was the first season that GOTR was in Sedona, so we had a little work to do in terms of spreading the word to parents and getting kids excited about the club ("it's not ALL running, I promise!").

Sparkly stickers, roses and mini plastic trophies as incentives for signing up did the trick for the little ones: "If I sign up, can I get a prize bag too?!" However, selling the older version (Girls on Track) to middle school kids was a little more challenging, so we ended up only having 6 girls on the older team. That's okay! Six is better than zero.



Community service: trash pick-up!



We had a great season. I laughed, I cried, and I nearly exploded with pride and joy when my girls crossed the finish line of the 5k. Such great memories.

(There were supposed to be more photos here from race day, but I don't have permission to use them... booh.)

And, for my all-time favorite:







Comments

Popular Posts