Happy Nurses Week!

Happy Nurses Week!

I was looking through my Pinterest board for a fitting quote, but I realized that I wanted to share part of my own writing instead. I really wish my nurses could know how much I appreciate them, even to this day. Below, I've included an excerpt from an essay I wrote for my Hopkins application.






3. Answer the question, why do you want to be a nurse? Include your academic, professional and life experiences and how they are relevant to the nursing profession. Include your professional goals in nursing?

I graduated from college with plans to teach abroad, apply to post-baccalaureate programs, and eventually become a doctor. However, a month after graduation I was diagnosed with a heart defect and unexpectedly underwent open heart surgery. Although doctors diagnosed my defect and patched my heart, it was my nurses who had the deepest impact on my experience as a patient. The first person to turn to my distraught mother, offer her tissues, and proceed to explain my surgical procedure in layman's terms, was my Nurse Practitioner. When I got out of surgery, it was my RN who juggled my monitors and wires while simultaneously responding to my sassy drug-induced comments with equal amounts of sarcasm and professionalism. When I was strong enough to stand, it was my nurse who walked with me during my first steps after surgery, making my 40-foot shuffle down the hall seem as big of an accomplishment as climbing Everest. When I look back at my experience as a patient, what I remember most are the moments I had with my nurses, who expertly and intuitively cared for my physical needs, but also treated me as a human being. I realize that this is exactly the kind of spirit I want to embody as a health care provider...



... And several years later, working my first job as an RN, I stand by those words.


To all the nurses out there: Thank you for all that you do. I feel honored to be a part of your profession, and I am endlessly grateful for your compassionate care.

Happy Nurses Week,

-Maya

Comments

  1. Happy Nurses Week Maya! I believe this is your first time celebrating as a new nurse, no? Welcome to the club. By now you've realized that it is a crazy, busy, and selfless occupation. Never lose your passion. You will move mountains.
    If I could go back and tell myself, when I was a newbie nurse, some advise it would be the following: You are lucky to have this awesome responsibility. Expect to be challenged in unexpected ways. On the hard days, be extra kind to yourself. Treat yourself well. Have friends and interests outside of nursing. Always, pay it forward.
    xo,
    Keilynn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts