Which one of these is not like the other ones?

My surgery is being performed at one of The Coolest Places Ever: The Phoenix Children's Hospital.

Why, might you ask, is a 22-year-old being treated at a children's hospital? Friends, I have asked myself the same question. Technically, I am old enough to have a child of my own, and the receptionists and scheduling staff have made that quite clear. When I called on the phone to make an appointment, they asked me for my child's name. Several times. 

Them: What is your child's name? 
Me: I am the patient.
Them: I'm sorry?
Me: I'm the patient. I'm the one with the heart problem. Also, I have no kids.
Them: *long pause* Ummm okay, sorry about that. Could you hold on one moment? *long pause again* .... okay sorry. What exactly, is your date of birth?

1990 has never seemed so long ago.

It also gets kind of weird when all of the patient pre-operating instructions are addressed to the parents of the young children
  • "It may be helpful to bring your child's pacifier."
  • "Your child is allowed to bring one stuffed animal into the operating room."
  • "Child Life assistants supervise all playrooms, and plan crafts and other special activities."
My sister sarcastically told me that I'd make a bunch of new friends in the playrooms during my week-long stay. By friends she means 5-year-old heart patients who enjoy coloring books, Play-Doh and tea parties with imaginary talking animals. I think we might have more in common than my sister thinks.  

All joking aside, I'm actually really happy that I get to stay at Disneyland  Phoenix Children's. I know looks aren't everything, but this place is decked out in family-friendly, child-friendly, MayaJoy-friendly colors and designs. Example:


Jealous? I thought so. 

So, why am I actually staying at a children's hospital? Because of the advances in technology during the last few decades, it's becoming easier and easier to detect and treat congenital heart defects when the child is young. I flew under the radar for years, and so now I am a rare species (so hipster). Because most congenital heart defects are operated on when the patient is young, my surgeon operates mainly on kids and is based at a children's hospital. Thus, I have the great honor and privilege of being one of the oldest "children" at PCH.  

I'm incredibly excited. 




Comments

  1. MayaJoy, prayers and blessings with you! I know a wonderful little boy who had three open heart surgeries before the age of two (my best friends' son) and know how dedicated the pediatric cardiology staffs are to the care of their patients. They have no idea of the amazing young woman headed their way. Peace be with you - Megan Shepherd

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts