Blessed.

Blessed. 
I am incredibly blessed. And grateful. And humbled.

Today, while I was at my pre-op testing for surgery, I took my iPhone out to pass the time between bloodwork and exams. I saw that one of my friends had tagged me in 30 pictures. I was so confused... where did he get these so-called pictures? When were they taken? I opened up my Facebook to see the best. surprise. ever...30 people, including good friends, acquaintances, and even some people that I didn't know, were sending me love via pictures of them holding up the word "joy". I was so happy and overjoyed. I couldn't help but laugh, and smile, and everything felt a little lighter, a little more joyful. I realized then and there how incredibly blessed I am to have such wonderful people surrounding me.

Another "moment of grace" (thank you, RenĂ©e, for introducing that gem of a phrase into my lexicon): A few days ago, I received an email from a friend and former boss, who told me that he had organized a 24-hour long prayer "around the clock" for my surgery. Starting at 9:30pm on Tuesday night, and ending at 9:30pm Wednesday, over 65 people have offered to spend time in prayer for 30-60 minutes. I was speechless when I read the email and saw how many people have taken it upon themselves to pray for me. I am deeply humbled by the selflessness, love and support that everyone has offered. 

Not only am I grateful to those thirty, and to those sixty-something, but I am also incredibly grateful to the countless others who have offered prayers, love and support. To those of you who have stopped by on my blog and have taken the time to listen to my story so far, thank you. Thank you for listening.

I'll post a longer blog later about what happened at my pre-op testing (so much fun--I am such a nerd) and how my surgery went, of course. For now, it's time for me to get some sleep! I head to the hospital at 7:30am tomorrow morning. Hopefully I'll be in the operating room by 10am.

Blessings, friends.

Love,
MayaJoy





Comments

  1. Sending bucketloads of prayers and oodles of love your way, MayaJoy! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from your old high school English teacher!! I was going through my Facebook news feed and saw a picture of you in a hospital gown, the status something about your being able to sit down. Curious to know what you had surgery for, I started reading the comments your friend's had posted and came across your blog. Wow. I had no idea this is what I would learn.

    First, I want to tell you that I am sending you lots of prayers for strength and a speedy recovery. I know you are a strong young woman - or shall I say child, as you ARE at a Children's hospital, ha! My friend's daughter had this same surgery when she was 6 months old, but no matter what the age, I cannot begin to imagine what your mother has / is going through. My prayers go out to her as well.

    Secondly I want to say, job well done on this blog!! I love reading your words - you have always been such a great writer - and I know this blog will forever be cherished in your life and in all the lives around you.

    I will continue to check your blog for updates if you promise to continue to stay strong with your new & improved heart!! Enjoy Disneyland!

    Cheers,
    Stephanie Mandrell (Ms. Steinmeyer)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there!

      I'm so glad you stumbled upon my blog! It gives me so much joy to write about what is going on. Also, I feel a little less overwhelmed and a little stronger when I discover that people are reading my story. I'm so happy you left a note.

      Thank you for the love and prayers. I hope you and your family are doing well. Thank you for stopping by!

      Love,
      Maya
      p.s. I'm glad you like my writing, but I can't give myself all the credit. I have had some wonderful teachers ;)

      Delete
  3. MayaJoy!! :) I've loved keeping up with your blog and just wanted to let you know that I just moved back into PE a couple hours ago and your picture is already up on the wall!! (I love that picture you made!) You are such an inspiration MayaJoy. I'll definitely miss campus without you this year!
    Most definitely keeping you in my prayers as you continue to recover!

    <3
    Deirdre

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts