The Big Day: Part I

I can't believe it's already been a week since my open heart surgery! I've been recovering at home for the past few days, and I wanted to gather some energy before I took up writing such a lonngggg blog post. I've divided it up into sections so that in case you need to take a break, you can come back and read it later. Happy reading, friends!



Maya's Open Heart Surgery: August 1st, 2012 

Early Morning
I should be their spokeswoman.
I woke up at 6:15am and took a shower. I made sure to relish every second of the hot water because  knew it would be a while before I would be able to take a real shower. After my lovely shower, I had to scrub myself with cloths that kill the bacteria on your skin.Even though the surgeons rub iodine on you in the operating room, scrubbing yourself beforehand helps "prime" the skin by removing excess germs.

I am assuming that if one were to mix a baby wipe with a Brillo pad with a Swiffer Wet-Jet with some Purell, they would have a pretty accurate description of what these little buddies feel and smell like.

After my little scrubbing ritual, I got dressed in a t-shirt and sweats, knowing that I wouldn't really be wearing my outfit for much longer. What was important was comfort, not style ;) I also packed my backpack with comfortable clothes that my mother could bring to the hospital after my surgery (not that I would be able to wear them for while). I packed other essentials like my toothbrush, toothpaste, my iPhone charger, and my prayer book. I left the backpack in the room, as I wouldn't be needing it for a while, and I didn't want my family to have to worry about anything extra while I was undergoing surgery. When we left the hotel room, the only thing I took with me to the hospital was my iPhone, my wallet and my teddy bear.

Pre-Op
My daddy!
I rode to the hospital with my dad, and we had some time to talk about the surgery. Even though it was a pretty short ride to the hospital,  it was really good to spend time with my dad and talk to him about how we were both feeling about everything.

When we got to the hospital, we met my mother and checked in at Admissions, where I signed more papers before being formally admitted. This time, I had to look over papers that had to do with living wills, advanced directives and power of attorney. Although I hadn't been too nervous about the surgery, having to think about what might happen if something should go wrong was a little scary. It made everything more real-- both the surgery and its consequences.

Next, we headed upstairs to the surgery floor, where we waited for a few more minutes before being ushered into a pre-surgery exam room. I got to change into an elegant hospital gown and a lovely pair of slipper socks. While I waited in the room, a nurse checked my vitals and prepped an IV site on my right hand. During my wait, I also met with several members of my surgical team, including a Nurse Practitioner, my Anesthesiologist, and my lead surgeon, Dr. John Nigro (also, cool video here). After about 40 minutes in the pre-surgery room, the operating room was ready, the surgeons were ready, and I was ready.
Just breathe.

A few minutes before going back, the Anesthesiologist offered to give me a light sedative to help calm my nerves before surgery. I just shrugged and said, "No, I'm feeling pretty good." And I was-- I was nervous, and in a weird, geeky, obsessed-with-medicine way, excited. But most importantly, I was at peace. I knew I wasn't alone. I knew people across the country were praying for me and were thinking of me. I knew I was safe, I knew I was loved. I knew I was with God, no matter what. When you know that--when you really know that -- it is such an empowering, peaceful feeling. And that works better than any sedative.

I had done everything I could do. Everyone else was doing everything they could do.
All that was left to do was trust.
Breathe in. Trust.
Breathe out. Trust.


(to be continued) 

Comments

Popular Posts