2013: I will.

Hey friends!

This blog is a link-up with Rima over at Bolu by Rima... I actually found her blog through one of my favorite bloggers, Anna, and thought it was a marvelous idea. Here's the gist:

  • make a list of 12 resolutions
  • review them each month
  • wrap up/ big review at the end of the year
  • celebrate your successes

My list is below! The operative phrase here for me is "I will." In my opinion, a simple "I will" in place of an "I want to" or a "I wish" makes a world of a difference.


1. Run. 
I've already been running more than I ever had, but in 2013, I will grow as a runner. I want to race in a 5k and a 10k and beat my current PRs. I will at least start training for a 1/2 marathon. Besides all that, I just want running to be a part of my daily routine. I love the feeling it gives me, and I want to make time for that every day, even if it's just a 15-minute run around the neighborhood.

2. Bike to work. 
I have a bike, I have a helmet, I have legs, and I live less than 3 miles away from my work, so I think this is a pretty feasible goal. Also, the lack of snow in Sedona makes it almost impossible to have any excuse...like ever.

3. Make a physical photo album. 
I have so many photos in my iPhoto album (and backed up on multiple external hard drives), but I will make an actual photo album, one you can hold, and page through, and pass around and laugh at with friends.

4. Pursue nursing.
I already have a college degree, but I'm shifting career focuses (final goal: Nurse Practitioner). I have my sights set on a few accelerated BSN programs across the country, and I'm currently working on finishing some science prerequisites before applying. I would love to apply at the end of Summer 2013 so that I can matriculate in 2014!

5. Be more grateful. 
One of my friends from Notre Dame has a gratitude notebook, where she reflects on each day and what she was grateful for. I will do something like this, something that reminds me of all the goodness in my life.

6. Spend quality time. 
I will spend more quality time with my family, I will spend more quality time with my friends (even--and especially-- the far away friends) and I will spend more quality time with myself.

7. Grow in my faith.
In the words of (my main man) Thomas Merton, "For me to be a saint means to be myself. Therefore the problem of sanctity and salvation is in fact the problem of finding out who I am and of discovering my true self." I will be more intentional. I will pay more attention to my words and actions, to what I do and what I don't do. I will be more aware of the kind of saint I am being called to be. 

8. Make music.
Music has always been a part of my life (piano, violin, choir, and more recently, tuba) and I would like to spend a little more time making music. I'm going to dust my violin off and re-learn some old favorites!

9. Do something that scares me. 
I'm super afraid of heights, and don't ever think I'll get over this fear. I'm not sure I'm ready to sky dive or bungee jump. But I will try something that frightens me... In a good way. Maybe something like going on a hot-air balloon? Or paintballing (this really does scare me)?

10. Grow as a blogger. 
When I started this blog in July, I said that if one person read my blog and found some comfort in my story, then I would consider that a success. I have been blessed over and over again by all of you readers. Thank you. I will continue to share my story and find ways to connect with more and more of you.

11. Advocate. 
I will become a bigger advocate for CHD patients. I am currently a blogger for Heartwaves, a hub for CHD patients and their families. I will find more ways to share my story with others, either online or in person, to help make a difference in other heart patients' lives.

12. Create more art. 
I am a(n) (amateur) photographer, and I love capturing those unrepeatable moments in life. I will grow in this aspect. I also love to draw and paint, and I have millions of ideas in my head that just never make it onto paper or canvas. I will bring some more of my ideas to life!


Do you make resolutions? I'd love to learn about some of yours! Leave them in the comments below. :)

Comments

  1. I LOVE your list! especially the 'i will' part. :) positive thinking, all the way.
    Yes, do #2! for sure! your co-workers will be jealous of how cool you are. I want to take 5 and 6 and apply it in my own life. Best of luck, I'm looking forward to reviewing each month and motivating each other!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts