Listen to Your Crazy

“There will be a few times in your life when all your instincts will tell you to do something, something that defies logic, upsets your plans, and may seem crazy to others. When that happens, you do it. Listen to your instincts and ignore everything else. Ignore logic, ignore the odds, ignore the complications, and just go for it.” 

-Judith McNaught

About a year and a half ago, I made a "crazy" decision. After experiencing healthcare as a heart patient, I fell in love with nursing. I realized that I wanted to be a minister of compassion and healing in the way that nurses and nurse practitioners are. So I decided that I was going to go back to school to study to become a nurse. Me, the Spanish and French major who had taken almost zero (nursing school-relevant) science classes in college.


I've been sitting in front of this poster for the last three semesters and didn't notice it until recently!
Serendipity. 

Well, after three semesters of studying, applying and interviewing, I'm excited to say: I DID IT! I was offered admission to five different accelerated nursing programs, and I've decided to attend The Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing.    

I know my decision might have looked impractical/ unorthodox/ confusing to others, but frankly, I didn't care. I was so excited that I had finally felt that "aha" moment in my heart. Also, I was somewhat used to these kinds of "uhhh... Are you sure?" reactions from friends and family, like:

  • when I told a friend I was going to go to college at Notre Dame (did it)
  • when I told people I was going to learn how to play the sousaphone so that I could be in the Notre Dame Marching Band (did it)
  • when I told myself that I was going to run a half marathon within a year of having open heart surgery (did it) 



Crazy? Maybe.
Challenging? Yes.
Impossible? Never.

I'm glad I listened to my heart and ignored the doubts and the potential complications.
I'm so excited to embark on my newest crazy project.
I know I have a long ways to go before I'm a nurse, but I'm so proud of how far I've come already.

So here's to all of you who've taken a chance on something crazy. Listen to your heart, trust those crazy instincts, and take a leap of faith.

via. 



Comments

Popular Posts