I'd laugh in your face...

The last several months have been oh-so-full of surprises!
This time last year, if you were to tell me any of the following, I would have laughed in your face:


1. You have a hole in your heart. Oh, and by the way, it's going to require open heart surgery. 


Please note the fashionable way I tied my gown. And the duck face.  
Actually, I probably wouldn't have been that surprised about the hole. I felt like something was up; I didn't feel right. But having open heart surgery was NOT something I thought would happen. Crazy how things turn out.

2. This year, you'll work as a part-time teacher back in Sedona. And you'll love it. 



Before my little heart surprise, I was considering year-long service opportunities. One of my top choices was teaching in Haiti. Well...I'm not in Haiti, I'm in Sedona. But I love it. I love the students, I love the teachers with whom I work, and I love walking into school each day with a sense of purpose.

3. You're going to be a middle-school track coach. 


The last time I did anything related to track was way back in high school!
This one actually seems like the most hilarious one of them all. Long story short: nobody stepped up to coach track at school. First meet quickly approaching, still no coach. "Why not coach track," I said. "I did track in high school!" I said. "How hard could it be?" ...and those might be my famous last words. Check back on May 5th, and if I'm still sane, we'll call it a successful season. ;)

Lesson Learned (and still learning): 
You can't plan out every second of your life. Sure, I'm not where I thought I'd be a year ago. The excel spreadsheet of my 5-year plan is looking WAY more different each and every day.

But I'm going to be okay with that, because I could have never anticipated the blessings that have come with every "bump" in the road, every surprise.

#1 has given me a whole new outlook on life. It's changed how I approach each and every day. It's made me rethink who and what I want to be.
#2 has given me clarity in choosing a career path, and has affirmed me in so many other ways.
#3 would have never happened a year ago. I have more confidence; I trust myself and my abilities. It's also teaching me humility: the ability to admit I can't do everything, and the courage to ask for help when I need it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts