Trump Card

This past week at work, I pulled the Open Heart Surgery Card and made my students move a table across the room for me. I'm pretty sure I was perfectly capable of moving it, but I decided to pull the "I have wires holding my chest together" guilt trip card and make them do the work!

I felt guilty for approximately 2.4 seconds before I decided that pulling the Open Heart Surgery Card every once in a while is totally valid. I'm sure other open heart surgery patients can relate. 

First of all, you've earned it. I mean, if you had a sternotomy like most open heart surgery patients, YOU HAVE WIRES HOLDING YOUR CHEST TOGETHER. You are practically bionic... and literally bionic if you have some sort of pacemaker or battery-operated device.  Second of all, it takes a long time for your sternum to heal completely. And you don't want to rush the healing process. Be gentle to your body! 

Here are some everyday situations in which it is always appropriate to play the Open Heart Surgery Trump Card. 

1. Airports
You shouldn't be carrying that much weight anyways. And don't even think about trying to lift that overpacked carry-on suitcase. Find a nice gentleman (or lady... let's be gender equal here) and ask them if they wouldn't mind putting your carry on in the overhead compartment for you. 

Airports are the perfect place to use the OHS Card. 
2. Driving
It is a little annoying not being able to drive yourself anywhere, but think about it this way: You are basically living the life of a movie star (but with way fewer paparazzi... best of both worlds). You have your very own chauffer. And, if you're still in the first few weeks post-surgery, they're going to be opening the door for you.  How awesome is that?

My chauffer aka my mother and I leaving Phoenix Children's Hospital

3. Snow shoveling
For some patients, the only restriction they'll have for the rest of their life is to never shovel snow. Yes, it's unfortunate in some ways, but hold on a second.... no it's not unfortunate at all. IT'S AWESOME. For the rest of your life, you will never have to feel guilty about making someone else shovel your driveway. 

"Maya, how do you feel about never shoveling snow?"

Comments

  1. I so hear you! I play the trump card from time to time myself! I had to chuckle because I've been in your shoes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha. that's awesome. :) I always see a small gleam of excitement in my patients eyes when we tell them they shouldn't be pushing a vacuum or a lawn mower around... and then that gleam fades when you tell them they're not allowed to swing golf clubs or go swimming... at least it's only temporary.
    (and good girl, you better be protecting those little sternal wires!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts