Scones are my favorite

I'm trying to post more regularly, which requires branching out from my usual heart surgery/ running posts. Don't get me wrong--I love talking about those things, but I also want to share more of my life with you all! I have to warn you, it's not terribly exciting. I mostly just work, study, write essay upon essay and send them to nursing schools, and watch F.R.I.E.N.D.S like it's my job (we're talking 4 seasons in 4 weeks kind of pace).

So today, I'm here to talk about scones.

Scones are SO underrated.
They're like cookies, but more robust.
They're like muffins, but sturdier.
They're like bread, but sassier.
They accompany both tea and coffee.
What more could you want?!

I made some the other day to bring to Phoenix Children's Hospital (aka my favorite place in the world). I had an interview with Fox 10 News, and they wanted to film me walking through the CVICU and the Heart Center where I had been a patient. I didn't want to come down empty handed; I love thanking the amazing doctors and nurses that take care of patients day in and day out.

Last time I brought baked goods, I made these ginormous pumpkin scones. They were literally the size of my palm. Mondo scones.


This time, I wanted to make something a little smaller so that there would be more to share. I stumbled across a recipe for mini scones and I was like YES THIS IS BEAUTIFUL. I fall for anything labeled"petite", because I speak French and DUH.

These scones were delicious and so easy to make. The white chocolate drizzle made a great final touch!

Something I suggest is putting the mix/batter/whatever it's called in the freezer for ~20 minutes before cutting the scones up and baking them. I think it makes it easier to give the scones that signature triangular shape.




Without further ado, here's the recipe!

Scones:
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup whipping cream
3/4 cup dried cranberries (coarsely chopped)
3/4 cups white baking chips

Drizzle:
1/2 cup white baking chips
2 tsp shortening


Heat oven to 400 F. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and salt in a bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in whipping cream; mix until dough holds together. Stir in cranberries and 3/4 cup white baking chips.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead 5-10 times or until dough is smooth. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces; shape each piece into 8-inch log. Cut each log into 4 (2-inch) pieces; cut each piece in half diagonally to form small triangles.

Place scones, at least 1 inch apart, onto ungreased baking sheet (Maya's note: use butcher paper instead!). Bake 9-11 minutes or until golden brown around edges. Cool completely.

Combine remaining 1/2 cup baking chips and shortening in bowl. Microwave on Medium (50% power) 30 seconds; stir. Continue microwaving every 30 seconds until chips are melted and smooth. Drizzle scones with melted chocolate.

1 scone = 130 calories of deliciousness. 

Source: Land O' Lakes 


Enjoy!


Comments

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I love scones. Even though really I should watch my diet lol. Are you on any specific diet? I was told to stay with the mediterranean diet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts