Worth It.

Guys. I love you all so much that I am writing this all on my iPhone's little "notes" app. I'm sorry I've been MIA. I still don't have a functional computer...Apparently the "logic board" is broken? Hmm.

Anyways, if you've been following my blog, I'm sure you know that I am currently taking a CNA class. While this class certainly isn't hard when thinking about the textbook and lessons (thank you, Notre Dame education) what's hard is the rest of it, like the compromises and sacrifices I've made.

The class is held every Saturday and Sunday from 7am to 5:30pm in Phoenix, which is about 2 hours away from my home. So every Friday evening, I drive down and stay with my relatives or my sister somewhere in Phoenix. My day goes as follows: I wake up, go to class, and go to sleep, with some eating and studying crammed in-between. I get to class before the sun rises, and I leave class as the sun is setting.

I've missed watching the past 3 Notre Dame football games, which isn't super disappointing (everyone knows that the band is the best part of the game), but my text-google-update way of watching the game is still a VERY far cry from my sideline seats as an ND undergrad. AND WE ARE 11-0. Come on. That's torture, not being able to witness such an amazing season.

I missed my sister's championship volleyball game (they won). She's only a sophomore, so I better see another championship before she graduates. ;)

I also miss little things like sleeping in, being with my family, not spending all my money on gas, and sleeping in my own bed. And I especially miss not being physically exhausted on Monday mornings (I call it a driving hangover).

This class is demanding, and I've made a few sacrifices and missed out on some things. But there are so many things I've gained. I know how to use a sphygmomanometer and how to tell if someone is "in trouble". I know why an extra five minutes of my time, or a simple pat on the shoulder, or smile, is so important for a patient. I know how to help a terminally-ill patient make their death more comfortable and dignified.

I don't want to be a CNA forever, and to be completely honest, I won't be 100% satisfied until I've received an advanced degree (I want to be either a pediatric Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner). But learning how to be a CNA is a step, one important step of many steps on my way to a bigger dream of mine. I'm learning how to care for people, and that is pretty darn awesome. I'm learning about how to be love in a very tangible way. What an absolute HONOR to be called to serve others in that kind of way.

My hope for you is that you have something that gives you life. I pray that your goal, or your job, or your passion in life is worth those early mornings, or that missed game, or that sleepless night. Whoever you are and whatever it is you do, I hope that you can see the love in what you do.


Comments

Popular Posts